Ayurveda, the Indian science of medicine, lists many medicines that are made from cow products. Panchagavya, sometimes called the divine elixir, is used to heal the body and mind, making one free from many diseases. It is also a preventative medicine. It is a refreshing and nourishing drink for healthy living. There is no medicine in the world like panchagavya. Pancha means "five" and gavya means "related to cows."The five ingredients of panchagavya and their beneficial properties include:
- Gomutra (cow urine)—therapeutic and medicinal for thousands of diseases. It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antibiotic, anti-allergic, and anti-microbial. It is an effective natural antiseptic and disinfectant.
- Gomaya (cow dung)— antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and fungicidal.
- Cow milk — nutritious (see Human Nutrition section of this Website)
- Ghee — nutritious and removes impurities from the body.
- Curd — nutritious and relieves digestive problems.
Given that 70 percent of the global population does not have access to modern healthcare, panchagavya can be instrumental in improving global health. Its main use is not in the external cleanliness it brings, but in the internal cleansing it brings.
Several other medicines, lotions, and cosmetics based on cow products are also available. Some of them include:
- Ghee based medicines — go gritham—capable of curing epilepsy, dementia, schizophrenia, cancer, leprosy, migraines, and more.
- Gomutra based medicines —sarvaroganivarani—capable of curing cancer, blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, mouth ulcers,asthma, thyroid, prostrate, and many other diseases.
Research at the University of Bristol and Sage College in Troy, NY, have found that Mycobacterium vaccae, a bacteria found in cow dung, is a mood enhancing agent. Mycobacterium vaccae activates a group of neurons in the brain that produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter that contributes to feelings of well-being and happiness. So then when one feels depressed, one can go into a goshala (cow shed) and breathe in the fresh fragrance of cow dung and feel uplifted.